The art, practise or gift of discovering unknown things or future events, as though by supernatural powers
There are many different methods of divination from all cultures around the world. throughout history, we have sought out answers to our questions from a higher source and each civilisation has developed their own ways of doing this, many have survived to this day ~ this is the art of divination.
On the right is a list of some of the more common known ways of divination. It is not by any means complete, but if you would like to see any added we have omitted please contact us!
- Alectryomancy ~ How a rooster pecks his grain
- Aleuromancy ~ Written paper in dough (fortune cookies)
- Astrology ~ By the movement of celestial bodies
- Astromancy ~ Using the Stars
- Augury ~ predicting omens using the flight of birds
- Bazi/ Four pillars ~ Hour, Day, Month & Year of Birth. Chinese way of fortelling a persons destiny or fate
- Bibliomancy ~ Books, but not always, religious texts
- Cartomancy ~ Playing Cards, Tarot & Oracle also
- Ceromancy ~ Patterns in melting or dripping wax, dropped in water
- Cheiromancy/ Chiromancy ~ shape of the hands and lines in the palms
- Chronomancy ~ determination of both lucky and unlucky days
- Clairvoyance ~ Spiritual vision or insight
- Cleromancy ~ Casting lots, bones or stones
- Crystallomancy ~ Crystal ball, also known as scrying
- Dactyliomancy ~ using rings. much like a pendulum.
- Extispicy ~ by animal entrails
- Feng Shui ~ earthen harmony
- Geomancy ~ Ground markings in sand, soil, or the earth
- Horary Astrology ~ astrology of the time the question was asked.
- Hydromancy ~ Use of water
- I-Ching ~ By yarrow stalks or coins and the I-ching
- Iridology/Oculomancy ~ Through interpreting the eye or iris
- Kau Cim ~ numbered bamboo sticks shaken from a tube
- Lithomancy ~ using crystals or stones
- Necromancy ~ by the dead, or spirits or souls of the dead
- Numerology ~ by use of numbers
- Oneiromancy ~ by dreams
- Onomancy ~ using names
- Onychomancy ~ interpreting the fingernails
- Palmistry ~ by lines and mounds on the hand
- Pendulums ~ movement of a suspended object
- Pyromancy ~ fire gazing
- Runecasting ~ by runes
- Scrying ~looking into reflective objects
- Spirit Board ~ oujia or talking board
- Taromancy ~ form of cartomancy that solely uses tarot
- Tasseomancy ~ use of tea leaves or coffee grounds.